We've been in NYC now for 6 1/2 years and have had some pretty interesting experiences to last a life time.
Here's one I had yesterday:
Our neighbor (mid-age single woman) works during the day and comes home at exactly 4:30 each afternoon. How do I know? No, I'm not waiting by the peep hole each day, I can hear her unlock her dead bolt, then her lock everyday and go inside and shut her door. This is the extent of what we hear or see of her, well, unless the kids are crazy after 9pm then we get "the knock." So, I thought it odd yesterday to hear her shower running at about 3:00, but didn't think much of it. Then at 3:30 I still heard her shower running and happened to walk by her door and hear her sink running as well. Thought.... why does she have her sink running when she is in the shower??? Odd. Didn't think much more of it. Back in house on phone with sister. Ayden interrupts to ask what is that sound in the other room? Go to room and see water running through our recessed lighting on wall. Crap!!! Grab Super, Super runs upstairs. Unlocks 3A to find bathtub running, drain plugged and 2+ inches of water over entire apartment. Owner nowhere in sight. Super runs back downstairs to unlock 2A (my neighbor's door) ITS RAINING INSIDE HER APARTMENT!!! After a lot of swearing (from the Super) they get the wet vac and do a lot of vacuuming. Our neighboring wall we share has some damage and will have to be repaired. Our neighbor's place will have to be completely redone. We're lucky. But as many of you know, our walls are not made of sheet rock they are plaster and let me tell you when plaster gets wet it STINKS!!! We have our fans going, candles going, and the window cracked, but the stench is bad and it will take a good month for it to dry out. So we deal with the stench. It just makes our lives more interesting here in NYC. What about the neighbor in 3A? Story is; she is going through some hard times and was just careless. Let's hope she has homeowner's insurance.
I have been thinking for awhile it would be fun to document NYC stories (because there are many) on the blog. If you have a favorite story or experience please let me know and I will post it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
That is crazy! I'm glad you didn't get more damage than that. New York is definitely a place for stories. I have some that range from Ethiopian restaurants to being snubbed in Sak's. One of the weirdest was when I was waiting for Erik outside of church one Sunday. I had a tithing envelope in my hand, and some lady came up and started yelling at me and asked me if I'd seen the movie "The Piano" and what was I doing with that evelope. It was weird!
Oh my! I cannot believe that. I have so many New York stories, who knows where to start. Let me just say, "Advice on parenting from strangers!" Anyone who has lived in New York knows exactly what i am talking about.
Whoa, when you said you were keeping your windows open to air out the place.. I had no idea! The details really make the story. Great idea to start documenting NYC stories.. there are many out there. I feel less phased by them anymore... until they are in writing, and then I am reminded this really is a wacky (yet wonderful) place we are living in. Guess these adventures keep us on our toes.
i'm so glad you shared this! and i know what you mean by stinky - we had a water problem with apartment one in the city!
OHMYGOSH! That is nuts. Glad that you guys didn't have to much damage, but sure hope the plaster dries out quick! My favorite NYC story (obviously funny in retrospect - not so funny when it happened...) It our first 4th of July in Washington Heights. It was 3 am and fireworks were still going off every minute (BTW - Washington Heights has the most 311 noise complaints of any area in any NYC borough - Inwood is 2nd). I was fed up and decided to go "give those disrespectful kids a talking to." (You get a little crazy at 3 am.) I walked out to the intersection of Sherman and Arden only to find, literally, hundreds of people lining the streetd - a lot of them sitting in lawn chairs - enjoying the show. So, noting that I was in the minority, all I could do was just stand there and fume on the corner for a few minutes. Finally, some kid across the street yelled over to my direction "GO BACK TO THE SUBURBS!"
Anyhow, great to keep up with you guys and we miss you!
Post a Comment